Saturday, October 3, 2009

A Poem From Grandpa Mike

Dear Teldyn,

Your first name came from Mommy and there's likely none the same.
Your second came from Daddy, and its had its share of fame:
The man who made the cotton gin and the school we know as Yale
Were both named Eli just like you, each one a special tale.

Your father's name is Charles, and this he got when he was born.
It is my father's father's name so the strand would not be torn.
We name our sons and daughters after those we cannot see
To be a sure reminder of the ones who used to be.

There is another Brodie and she loves you very dear.
She's living here beside you and you bring each other cheer.
You make her smile and bring her joy, and she gives it back to you.
She's Auntie, and her name's Nicole; but she has another, too.

Her middle name is Vera, and it was my mother's first.
And though I speak it rarely it still satisfies my thirst
To know that all the special things she was to me from birth
Are carried in a soul so rare, of caring and great worth.

When she was born my father, Eli, thanked me for her name.
He loved his Vera dearly and I would not bear the blame
Of breaking faith with either one and so I carried through,
And therefore gave the name to her which, happily, means 'true.'

The woman who I've known so long and proudly call my wife
Still makes me glad of what she's done to build our married life.
To see her love you as her own is such a special joy,
And you, sweet Teldyn, are so blessed and lucky, baby boy.

You hear us speak of "Nonna" and I also say "Nanou."
She makes me smile and makes me laugh to see how she loves you.
The love she gave to Daddy and then Auntie Nicole,
Now flows to you unbounded, still pure and sweet and whole.

Your father, Charles, is quite a man who served his country well,
And now serves you and Mommy better than mere words can tell.
He loves you so and this I know for I see it in his face
When he looks at you his eyes do shine, and he's in a special place.

You put him there because you're you, there is no other reason,
But time will pass and you will grow from season unto season.
I'm sure he feels as I did once that he couldn't love you more,
But you both will feel the blessings that tomorrow has in store.

And then there's Mommy, sweet and strong, I see it when she feeds you.
You cannot do without her, but I also know she needs you.
You once were safe inside her, but now take your chances here;
But she can see and hold you now. Each day you are more dear.

She talks to you and in her voice I hear her love and pride.
I watch her turn your pain to laughter after you have cried.
So many things she has to do to make it through this life,
And all done well, I'm glad to say, great worker, mother, wife.

We don't know all the things we should that get our children set
To sail life's troubled waters, but when we repay the debt
Of precious love that came to us from the ones who gave us life,
We have the chance to laugh and love and lessen others' strife.

I hope we're all together when at last these words you read,
But if that doesn't come to pass at least my mind is freed
That all who still remain on Earth with all their "don'ts" and "dos"
Won't have the strength to steer you from the path in Life you choose!

Grandpa Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment